Saturday, 8 March 2008

Reusing Epson 4800 Pro inkjet printer maintenance tank

When I first bought my Epson 4800 I was warned by a dealer that there was a chip on the maintenance tank and that the printer would stop working when it reached 0%, regardless of whether there was any space left in the tank. Instead of keeping a spare in stock I resolved to reuse the tank as a small contribution to not wasting the world’s resources.


The maintenance tank is the drawer in the bottom right hand corner of the printer, just below the right hand bank of ink cartridges. Its only purpose (that I can determine) is to catch the ink that is expelled from the system when the machine does nozzle cleans or purges the lines during changeovers between photo and matt inks etc, and to catch any overflow from puddle cleaning. It is simply an oblong plastic tank, filled with absorbent material covered with a removable plastic grid; and it also has a chip on it which the printer uses to keep track of how much it thinks it has filled the tank up. When it reaches 0% you need a new tank or the printer stops working, regardless of whether everything else is fine – or so I am lead to believe as I have never run it down to 0%.

Now I resent having to pay out £20 or more for the privilege of pouring expensive ink into a tank which could easily be reused, but Epson decree should be thrown away, so I decided to find a way round the system and reuse the tank.

Since I had no idea when I bought the printer how long the tank would take to fill and I had noticed that some suppliers quite often ran out of spare tanks I decided to buy a chip re-setter to make sure that I could carry on printing if need be. The easiest place for me get one was on eBay.

I reset the chip when it arrived just to check that it worked and it did. I then reset the chip when the tank was about 75% full and recently decided to reuse the tank properly. I figured that all I needed to do was take off the grid, remove and throw away the ink soaked absorbent material in the tank and replace it with something else absorbent – while I suspect that this is not strictly necessary as all that is needed is a tank to catch the ink I wanted to avoid splashes etc both during use and at changeover. After a bit of thought I decided that the easiest thing to use was nappy material, so I bought the cheapest I could find at the supermarket.

Tools and materials needed:
  • Pair of surgical gloves
  • Blunt small screwdriver
  • Chip re-setter
  • Ink tight waste disposal bag
  • Long nosed pliers
  • Clean up cloth
  • Newspaper
  • 3 nappies
The photo below shows the tank when it was taken out. I was expecting the ink to look black, but for some reason it was dark green.


Here is the process I used to refurbish and reuse the maintenance tank.
  1. First carefully prise off the plastic grid from the top of the tank using the blunt small screwdriver – it unclips at various points all around the tank.

  2. The absorbent material in the tank is tightly packed, so use the long nosed pliers to pull it out and dump it into the waste disposal bag.

  3. Clean around the inside of the tank to remove any unabsorbed ink and you should end up with an empty tank and a clean grid (see photo below).


  4. Then peel the (hopefully) waterproof outer off the nappies, otherwise the tank will not absorb much (I found that three roughly filled the tank without packing them in too tightly, but sizes will vary) and pack them into the tank. Finish off with a layer of the permeable inside of the nappy upper most in the tank – for neatness and to make sure that the nappy material does not go anywhere it shouldn’t.

  5. Clip back on the plastic grid (see photo below).


  6. Then use the chip re-setter to re-set the tank chip to 100% - in my case the spring loaded prongs need to be aligned with the contacts on the chip and gently pressed against the chip (see photo below). The LED on the top of the re-setter flashes red for a 3 or 4 seconds then turns green.


  7. Reinstall the tank into the printer.

This worked fine for me and took about half an hour the first time I tried it.
Read more...

31 comments:

Earl said...

I was wondering about this. The more I read your site, the more I am digging it!! Excellent content on your printer. I have a chip resetter for my inkjet cartridges. I'll have to do a little research. I'm wondering if it's the same resetter for the maintenance tank. I'm going to perform this procedure on my waste ink tank soon.

Again, thanks for the great info.

Mark said...

Thanks for posting about this, I am about to do the same. I have just ordered a resetter myself for my 4800. As I have just replaced my second ink tank, I decided no more.

I find it rather upsetting that Epson has this entire "environmental" section of their website, but by design, they suggest you throw this 2 lbs of plastic, ink, and padding into a landfill. I wrote to them to see what they say about changing this completely non-green design feature.

Churchill Photographer said...

Hi

The chip re-setter I bought was for both ink carts and the maintenance tank. I have not tried it on the ink carts but I think it they are the same and if it works on one then it will work on all of them.

Peter51 said...

Hello, there is no need to buy a chip resetter for the maintenance tank. Just do the following:

Turn off printer
Hold down the three leftmost arrow buttons:
[left-arrow] [down-arrow] [up-arrow]
Turn on printer
Release buttons
New menu appears
press up/down arrows to get to the "Clear Counters" menu
press RIGHT
press up/down arrows to get to the "Maintenance Tank" menu
Clear the counter
Turn off printer.
On restarting the maintenance tank should appear 'Empty'

That's all. The tip with the diaper is great. I used so far cat litter, which worked fine for me.

jukes42 said...

I tried what peter51 said about holding down the leftmost 3 arrow buttons and all I got were "self testing" and "view counters" menus. When I looked into the Maintenance tank under "view counters" I couldn't clear the counter. It's probably really simple, but what am I missing?

Peter Sedlmaier said...

Hi jukes42! When you are in "self-testing" mode press the following buttons:

3 x down
1 x menu
11 x down
2 x menu

Exit the printer and restart normally: the maintenance tank indicator shows "full", meaning empty. Tell me if it works. Good luck!

Bouquet Pools said...

I'm having the same problem as jukes42 - The self testing menu only has (2) options so pressing down 3x doesn't get you any further than pressing it once. Anyone done this successfully first hand?
Thanks!!

Leandro said...

I have also the same problem, only 2 options down (self testing) and (view counters), any help on how to get to the "Clear Counters"? Thanks

Mark said...

My understanding is that the printer based reset procedure does not work on the x800 series printers. It did on the earlier versions.

Don said...

had this problem - but our office has both printers (older 4000 and a newer 4800). I didn't have the chip resetter - but I the tanks are the same. So I reset the 4800 tank in the 4000 printer (which the special menu selections work to clear the chip).

Photo-Tec said...

Great tip, I used TP (toilet paper) instead of nappies, I used scissors to cut the roll from the center core out to the edge in layers, then cut long strip half the roll in width and as long as the M-tank, placing them in vertical groups starting at one long-side of the inside of the tank and squeezing the layers of TP together and stuffing in more rows towards the other long side. I did this because the original absorption pads were also in vertical rows, and this may help the wicking of the used ink, over just laying in layers from the bottom up. I was able to complete the refurbished maintenance tank in less than 30 minutes, used ONE roll of TP (packed in vertical rows very tightly), and used the regular ink cartridge chip re-setter to reset the maintenance tank chip. I have a Epson Pro 4800, and the keypad sequence to reset the maintenance tank back to empty did not work on my printer, there was no way to change the numbers to ZERO once I could view them!

Jessica said...

Barrister Global Services Scam

alina said...

Barrister Global Services Network, one of premier provider of IT solutions, printer repair , Printer Service, managed print services, Barrister Global Services. Printing services as printer repair and Managed Print Services are among the best services provided by barrister.

Jessica said...

Barrister Global Services Network Complaints

Sultan said...

Guys... i dont see any "Clear counters" in the Maintainance tank menu... all i see i the counters... but no option to clear them off.

Problem is that its not currently available in-house.. and things are really urgent.
btw is there any way of resetting it by software ???

Lindasy Rosenwald said...

Nice blogging, My review is very good example.
Lindsay Rosenwald http://www.lindsayrosenwald.info/ Dr. Lindsay Rosenwald is one of the re-known venture capitalists and the hedge fund managers in the world.

Christian Gleissner said...

Hi Sultan, there is apparently no way to reset the counters on the Epson 4800. It worked on the older Epson 4000 model, but Epson removed this option. I am actually quite glad they did, as it means you can rely on the number of printed pages when buying a used printer. Check eBay for a chip resetter.

Good luck
Chris

Steve said...

Very Cool! I had the chip restter from the refillable ink carts (all black for screen print film). Being t-shirt printers I used an old long sleeve t-shirt rolled up so it would semi fill the tank, reset the chip and it was yesterdays news.

Thanks for the killer tip!

Sweet Fairy said...

Nice post. What kind of printer is using for printing the Metal business cards?

alie hunter said...

12 years experience in photocopier industry & networking, Copy Ltd have been repairing and maintaining printers, photocopiers and fax machines for our many of satisfied customers. We currently have engineers operating from multiple locations around the London area.
Photocopier Maintenance London | Best Photocopier Repair London | Photocopier Refurbishing in London | Best Color Photocopier Machine | Photocopier Services in London | Black & White Photocopier London | Ricoh London UK | Cheap Photocopier Machine London | Bizhub Dealers in London | Best Laser Printer in London | Office Depot Copier Repair | Refurbished Photocopier London | konica Minolta London UK | Affordable Copier Repair Service |

Jacqueline Frost said...

Nice Post, For brother printer Toll Free Number 0800-098-8352, We provide you online help and support.Call us at Our BROTHER Printer Contact Number uk

Livepc servicessUK said...

want help for Your Epson Printer just call at Epson printer help Number UK

Roman Reighns said...

Great post, thanks for sharing.But any problem from your then call toll free number 0800-098-8343 and we provide you help and support call us at our Epson Printer Contact Number UK

jon mark said...

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles.
Avast Helpline Number UK
Canon Printer Help Number UK

Jacob Black said...

Its very useful post for me, and hope this will be helpful for people in future. Thanks for share this.
browser Support Number UK
browser Help Number UK

Jacob Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aleena Smith said...

Facing any technical complication related to adobe software and you are in need of an expert support then you are free to consult our technical executive by one dial at Adobe support number UK and get the resolved solution of any software within a minute.

3nod Makka said...

من خلال اتصالك الان على شركة العنود الاولى فى مجال تنظيف خزانات بمكة وتعرف على افضل العروض والخدمات لتركيب وصيانة الخزانات بالاضافة الى انها متخصصة فى كافة انواع عزل الخزانات فقط تواصل معنا من خلال هاتف : 0555132104

Technical Support UK 0800-090-3234,3242 said...

Keep posting like those amazing posts, this is really awesome :)
Norton Support Number UK
Norton Contact Number UK

Rosie Smith said...

Brother printer is not installing on your system, in this case you need the technical advice and for that you should talk to the technicians at 0800-090-3922 toll-free number. Brother Printer Contact Number UK

Epson Printer support Phone Number 800-046-5291 said...

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on "Epson 4800 Pro inkjet printer maintenance tank". And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him. So I should thank you for the free lunch I got.
READ MORE-: EPSON PRINTER SUPPORT, EPSON SUPPORT NUMBER, EPSON CUSTOMER SUPPORT