Tuesday 7 July 2009

Canon G9 – test of image quality after “Lens error, camera restart” incident

In my last posting I worked through what I did when my G9 suddenly experienced a “Lens error, camera restart” incident – go here for more details. At the time I did a quick image quality test to check that all was well. I have now done a more detailed test and here is my experience.


I am about to go away for a week and want to take a compact camera with me and the G9 would be ideal, but after the recent incident I was only willing to do this if I could convince myself that the image quality had not been impaired by the fairly robust treatment I had had to give the lens to get it working again.

In order to do this I decided to try to replicate an image that I took a few months ago that I was happy with and which had printed up well. This is an image of a window from my local church which has quite a lot of fine detail all over the image – the original image is below.


I looked up the original EXIF data to replicate it; this was ISO 80, f5.0 with aperture priority, auto focusing with a focal length of approximately 29mm.

This afternoon I set out to replicate the image, which is shown below.



Apart from it being a different season (there are leaves on the tree now), totally different light conditions and a slightly shorter focal length (25mm vs 29mm) the image above is good enough for my test.

I synchronised the settings in Lightroom so that the same settings that might affect image sharpness etc were used on both; such as clarity, contrast, vibrance, sharpening and noise reduction etc.

I have looked over the whole of both images and found that the image quality on the post incident image is as good as the earlier one – in fact it may be better… I have checked centre to edge and the two 100% extracts of the same part of the image below show that there is no loss of detail in the post incident image and the auto focusing is working fine.



Conclusion

The G9 is behaving itself again and its image quality is as good as it was beforehand, so I shall be taking it with me on the trip.
Read more...

2 comments:

Mark Albert - Roku Customer Support said...

How to connect Roku to TV without HDMI?
Roku devices can do wonders when it comes to streaming high quality TV entertainment. Occasionally, some might encounter certain kinds of issues with their Roku streaming devices occasionally. From TV playback to connectivity issues, it may vary from one Roku device to other based on various factors. IF you’re facing the , you can try the following. Connecting your Roku other than HDMI might be a little tricky but you can do it via HDMI converters. Try other HDMI port on your TV or try on other TV. You can also use Roku HDMI to DVI converter.
If you have intrested to information about roku connecting with HDMI you can refer our site roku tv hdmi no signal and also call our expert team by dialing our number +1-805-980-1700

Steven Roy said...

Blockbusters for your whole family is on amazon Fire TV. The big-hit movies, fantastic TV shows, and series all under one tap. That is Starz! Of course, you can watch your favorite movies and TV shows of Starz on Amazon Fire TV. Just navigate to the home screen, and click the Search icon. Type in Starz and add the channel. As soon as the app downloads, you can see the activation code. Enter the code on activate.starz.com. Log in with your Amazon account, and you are all sewen up!